These are a few of my favorite things....

>> Thursday, September 18, 2008

There are so many "little" things in my life that truly makes a difference. Some people might laugh, but hey, it's who I am. These are some of the "little" things that I adore.

- Waking up to the lull of the waves of the ocean going in and out, in and out... it's the perfect white noise. I'm falling more and more in love with the ocean.

- A song with the perfect lyrics. Sometimes I feel like a song has been written specifically for me... like that person knew exactly when I'd be on my knees, laying on my bed, or just needing a pick-me-up. Sometimes it's good to know that someone, even if it is a famous musician, feels the way I feel. It's silly, I know.

- The smell of fresh bread. I really really like walking into my apartment when bread has been baking all day in the breadmaker. It's like smelling heaven! 

- Rainy days in Majuro. The locals actually call it cold! Which, in reality, probably only means about 70 degrees. But it's so nice to have a break from the blasted heat. 

- Getting packages. (No, that's not a subtle hint) But really. It makes my day. Not only because it shows that someone actually took the time to think about each item that was placed in that box, but because I get to anticipate it my whole week long! I can't wait until M, W, or F just because I know it's mail day. 

- Weekends. I'm so thankful for when the weekend rolls around. I remember liking them when I was a student, but as a teacher, I need those blessed 2 days to rejuvenate and recharge myself. I've come to appreciate resting in God. 

-I'm addicted to Saturday afternoon naps. If I don't sleep, at least I lay in my bed and read, or just lay there. It's nice to not be moving to the motion of the world for at least a few minutes. 

- The sound of children singing. Chapels here are incredible. Here the kids sing their hearts out! You have to plug your ears sometimes because they're so into it. I absolutely love it. I have my kids sing in the morning and afternoon. It makes my day and it ends the day on a positive note.

- Sunrise. It's beautiful, when I'm actually awake for it. This morning I distinctly remember thinking, "Ugh, no one should ever be up before it is light outside" But, I also remember in the past seeing some incredible sunrises from my bed. It's amazing to be able to look out and just see God's creation. Loves it. 

- Massages. I really love hand massages and back massages. Man I could totally use one right now. Haha. 

- Swimming in the ocean. I didn't do it much until I got here, but now I can't see why I would ever want to swim in a pool! (minus the intense waves) It's a cool experience to be able to look down and see fish swimming with you. 

- Reading a book in a day. I haven't had the chance to do that yet. I hardly ever have time. I did finish the book I started last Friday night last night (Thursday). So I guess less than a week is not bad for a teacher.

- The color blue. It makes me really happy. I'm not sure why, but whenever I see the color blue I just smile to myself. I really like it. 

- I really like the feeling of a towel right out of the dryer. It feels so nice and clean. On that same note, I really like fresh sheets that have just been washed too. It's so great.

- Emails from friends. It is amazing to be able to keep in touch with friends miles and miles away from home. On a tiny little speck of an island, no less! It makes my day to see an email from family or friends. 

- Singing. It is my passion, it is my life. I can't go anywhere without humming, singing, or dancing. I get too nervous to sing up front sometimes. I don't want to be like conceited or whatever, but I know I'm not tonedeaf or anything, but I still get nervous. I guess I care too much what other people think.

- Sand. There are millions and millions of grains of sand on the beach. It is just mind boggling to know that God knows how many hairs are on my head. That must mean he knows how many grains of sand there are in the world. Crazy! 

- Clean air. Someone is smoking right now and sharing the lovely air with me. I appreciate clean Oxygen. For real. 

:)

0 comments: