Faces.

>> Monday, March 16, 2009

I sit here at my teacher’s desk in my classroom on a tiny speck in the middle of the ocean. I watch my students as they read their assignment. I was not qualified for this. I was not prepared to be thrown into a classroom and solely be responsible for these children’s knowledge intake for a year. I was scared. I was afraid. 8 months later, they have changed me. They accepted my lack of experience and my terrible teaching tactics and loved me. These 20 children have turned my world inside out and taught me probably more than I have taught them…

From Sunbeam I have learned that teaching can actually be fun, from Rolinda, I have learned that being a tomboy can be cool. From Pete I have learned that there will always be one or two students who listen the first time, every time. From Mase I have learned that kids will accept each other, even if they come in the middle of the year. From Ebilla I have learned not to give up on the students who seem far behind. From Leah I have learned that consistency and hard work always pays off. From Tim I have learned to smile and enjoy my job, and from Sechi I have learned to not take my talents for granted. From Billerine I have learned that one cannot split up best friends, from Andy I have learned that little does not mean least. From Peter I have learned patience… lots and lots of patience…. From Tino I have learned to be willing to give more of myself, from Dorcas I have learned to have better peripheral vision. From Neijen I have learned to enunciate more clearly, and from Romina I have learned that one can use their talents to help others. From Airi I have learned that even in 5th grade you can be an incredible artist, from Jamina I have learned that a sweet spirit and gracious attitude cannot go unnoticed. From Juslina I have learned that sometimes you have to reach past the exterior, and from Sherina I have learned that persistence is not always bad. From Kairirieta I have learned never to give up on your dreams, no matter how farfetched people tell you they are.

1 Island. 10 months. 20 faces. These 20 faces have changed my life, my world, and my future. Someday I hope you will get the chance to let 20 faces change you, too. 

4 comments:

Miss Weiman March 16, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

carrie i love you!
i hope we get to spend time together this summer :)

hollie m. March 16, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

Oh Carrie!
Thank you for sharing!
:D

Luis Portugal March 17, 2009 at 3:30 AM  

Hello
It has a nice blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from my country, Portugal

J March 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

You genius you...