I'm here!

>> Saturday, August 9, 2008

Hello to all!

Well, as you can tell, I have successfully arrived in Majuro. It’s been quite the interesting journey so far. I’m sorry I can’t upload any pictures today, the internet here is so so so slow. Hmm. Where do I start? Well, there is a very diverse group of us. There are 2 girls from England, 1 from Austria, 1 from Australia, and a guy from Sweden. In addition to that, there are students from Adventist colleges all over the US. I am sharing a “quaint” little apartment with 3 other girls. We seem to be getting along nicely. We seem to have inherited a boy’s apartment from last year, thus our walls were covered in mold. Gross. In addition to that, our Austrian girl, Elisabeth, seems to have a scent that attracts the cockroaches. She has found a few in her bed the past few mornings. Thankfully, the worst I’ve had to deal with is waking up with more mosquito/ant bites. My skin has an interesting pink speckled pattern to it. Again, gross. It’s hard to describe the beauty of this island. Except that when I look out my window it looks like something that was taken straight from a postcard. Needless to say, morning devotionals facing the ocean are quite the experience. The people here are so nice. When we drive through the town, the children run up and smile and wave saying, “Yokwe, Yokwe!” (That means hello in Marshallese) As most of you know I was originally planning on teaching the 3rd grade here, but when we arrived on the island we realized that there was an extra 3rd grade teacher, and no 5th grade teacher. In the back of my mind I was thinking what my answer would be if they asked me to teach 5th, and honestly I don’t really care because I’m here to serve whoever God asks me to. To make a long story short, today I was asked to teach 5th grade, and I said yes. So in 4 days I’ll be teaching 5th grade. Pray for me! I was prepared for 3rd, but God will provide. The internet here is so slow. I’m typing this up in Word as the webpage loads. I hope that you all are doing well. I’m sorry that hearing from me is so sparse, I know that I’ll be even more busy when school starts up. I’m hoping to post some pictures soon, the computer guy says that we should be getting a new IP address, whatever that means, so that we would be able to hook our laptops up. Yesterday we drove the other side of the island, named Laura. It took us a super long time. The island here is about 34 miles. We were blessed to witness 3 baptisms of some of the former students from the Delap SDA School. They were baptized right in the ocean! How cool. On the way back from visiting a beautiful beach over in Laura, apparently our brakes went out and thus we were driving for about 5 miles with no breaks. Our vice-principal was driving, and we were praying that no one would jump out in front of us. We ended up getting back here just fine, but it was a little scary. Today has been a pretty laid-back day. We got up and had pancakes at our principal’s house. Him and his wife are really nice. Well, it should be an exciting next few months. I’ll try to update you as soon as I can… Hopefully I’ll get on later to share some pictures of my journey so far. God Bless and I hope you all are doing well!

OH and PS-
In case you want to send me packages full of food and presents, ;)
My address here is

Carrie Cloke
Delap SDA School

P.O. Box I (The letter I, not 1)
Majuro, MI
96960

2 comments:

António Castro August 22, 2008 at 5:51 AM  

I love it!
Have a nice weekend.

david santos August 22, 2008 at 5:58 AM  

Really beautiful!!!
Have a nice weekend.